First five steps of worldbuilding
With worldbuilding for the Fantasy series in mind, I’ve come up with the first five things I need to focus on. So dear self, here is what you gotta do first:
- Rename the team of mercenaries formerly known as the D-squad
- You’ve got Dylan, Duke and Darlin (or was it Darling..). Which during Nano seemed like a spiffy idea. Now, you’ve grown attached to Dylan, so that name is staying, but the other two have got to go. They need new names, and you also need to work out the basics of their past.
- Get the countries and capitals sorted
- All the countries need names, and more importantly, they need capital cities. Might want to get on that.
- Place a few mountains, drop a few rivers.
- While you are settling on names and such, you might as well figure out the final geography, place a few mountains, a couple of rivers, and look at the climate. All that fun stuff you’ve been putting off for ages.
- Religious overview
- Get the basics of the three major religions down. And by basics I mean all the stuff that is in your head. Get it written down. In an organized fashion.
- What do you look like again?
- Settle in stone what the main characters look like, cause the first book is a Nano book, so their hair color has more than likely changed three times in the first five chapters. And though you know in your head, that counts for nothing. Also, you have the memory of a goldfish, so are you sure you know what they look like again?
This will be a good beginning. Once I finish these, I’ll come up with another five steps, then another, and then another. And before you know it, the world I have been building in my head for almost ten years will no longer exist just in my head.